The statement added that the league «share this information with our partner venues in order to take reasonable steps to enforce the ban».
The day after the brawl, AFL chief Gillon McLachlan labelled the incident a «disgrace» and told 3AW radio, «from what I have seen it’d be hard to see why we would want that person in a Richmond jumper – and there may be others – coming to the football for a period of time».
The brawl initially saw Eltham teen Sam Bevan-Shannon – the blond-haired male in the Richmond guernsey seen to most viciously assault other fans in the video – receive a $322 fine for riotous behaviour.
However, after further reviewing footage of the fight, police charged Mr Bevan-Shannon, 19, and two other men, aged 19 and 20 and both from Greensborough, with affray.
The three men were bailed to appear at Melbourne Magistrates Court on July 4.
The Age revealed on Tuesday that Mr Bevan-Shannon, a Richmond fan, played for the same football club as Patrick Cronin, the teenager killed by a coward punch in 2016.
He was awarded the inaugural «Patrick Cronin Medal» just months after Patrick’s death, and was known to the Cronin family for several years.
Ahead of this weekend’s matches, which begins with Richmond versus Collingwood at the MCG on Thursday night – the corresponding time slot to last week’s brawl – Victoria Police Superintendent David Clayton said on Wednesday that police would crack down on violent behaviour.
“There will be a highly visible presence at sporting matches each weekend in public, membership and corporate areas,” he said.
with Simone Fox Koob
Michael is a reporter for The Age.